The 2014 edition of the Solar Decathlon Europe will be held for the first time in France, within the prestigious grounds of the Château de Versailles. This is a unique international university competition that enables universities and colleges to design and build a habitat powered solely by the sun.
The rules for 2014 focus on six main themes:
– density : collective dwellings are preferred in order to minimise the environmental impact
– mobility : the location of housing in relation to necessary resources
– innovation : construction methods, energy supply, furnishings
– energy sobriety : it is important to ensure an energy supply that uses renewable sources
– financial accessibility : avoiding uncontrolled increases of investments in sophisticated and costly equipment
– contextualisation of the project within its environment: each team must find a positive-energy housing solution that corresponds to the context and particularities of their home country.
200,000 visitors are expected at the event: including delegations from abroad, specialised press, the general public and professionals.
Download an invitation.
More information on www.solardecathlon2014.fr